Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He cannot close his mouth. He is holding it slightly open

Customer Question

He cannot close his mouth. He is holding it slightly open and his tongue is slightly out.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He cannot close his mouth. He is holding it slightly open and his tongue is slightly out.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He does not seem to be hurt. He is not having any other issues. Just that he cannot fully close his mouth. We noticed it this morning.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Grumpy. He is 7 years old. He has had issues with seizures all of his life.
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Grumpy?
Customer: No that is the only thing that I can think of.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Grumpy. Inability to close the mouth may indicate that it's painful to do so and so a thorough exam of Grumpy's oral cavity is important. I look for dental disease as well as trauma, a foreign body lodged in the teeth, a general inflammation in the oral cavity (stomatitis), and oral cancers. If there's no evidence of a painful lesion in the mouth, a trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve V) deficit may exist. In this case, there's no resistance to opening the mouth, there may be atrophy or lack of tone in the jaw and/or facial muscles on the affected side, and there may be no response to the palpebral reflex ("threatening" the eye and watching for a blink). A "dropped jaw" is most often the result of a trigeminal nerve neuritis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.