Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My son just got a scratch from our dog on inside of mouth by

Customer Question

My son just got a scratch from our dog on inside of mouth by gums..the dog was due for rabies annual no
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My son just got a scratch on his gums that bled slightly while playing with our 1 1/2 yr. old dog. He was due for his annual rabies shot November 3 but has not gotten it yet. Our dog is acting normally and appears fine. Our dog since he is still young only stays in our driveway & we do not take him out into the street & he only comes into contact with our other dog who also appears normal & fine. Should we be concerned for our son since our dog's rabies shot has not been updated? If rabies is not an issue would goggling with strong mouthwash be sufficient?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have providedregarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did your dog have a rabies vaccine previously.?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Okay thanks for the additional information. How late was he for his rabies vaccine or was it very close to the due date? You likely don't have anything to worry about in this situation for a couple of reasons. One is rabies is typically in the saliva of infected dogs, so it is most likely spread through a bite wound. Since your son was scratched then that is a uncommon way for it to be spread. Also if the due date for the rabies was very close most dogs have an immunity beyond one year. Also if your dog hasn't been bitten by a rabies suspect animal then the chance of infection is low as well

Let me know if you have any further questions