Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My puppy started limping last week AN seemed to be sleeping

Customer Question

My puppy started limping last week AN seemed to be sleeping a lot. After spoiling her with sleeping in my bed AN steak dinners she seemed fine AN back to her bad self lol. This morning it started again but now she's hopping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Babii
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Babii?
Customer: No she hasn't cried at all. I thought she was faking because after the steak she was running like normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear Babil is not feeling well. It is common with an injury that increased activity can exacerbate a lameness. Is this a front or back leg? What type of dog is Babil?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Back left leg an a pit bull

Thank you, ***** ***** any swelling or heat on the leg? Is there any incident you can think of that began the lameness?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She was better yesterday. AN today her leg is up like a flamingo.She lets me squeeze it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her paw is warm but she's been laying on it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No nothing happened AN no sweeping that I can c

Again it is very common that they begin to use the leg again as it feels better than exacerbate an injury and have a recurrent lameness. Similar to when we have an injury and are told to stay off a leg for a while to allow the swelling and pain to subside

The primary concerns are a cruciate tear or a patellar luxation with her breed and symptoms. I would advise a veterinary exam because a home evaluation will not give this diagnosis, a veterinarian needs to check the stifle for drawer or movement which cannot be done without an experienced hand versus the kneecap floating which palpates very differently. Often with palpation and manipulation at home you will not see any indications of this condition

Here is more information on cruciate tears in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/ruptured-cranial-cruciate-ligament-in-dogs

And for patellar luxations:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/bones-joints-muscles/medial-patella-luxation-in-dogs

Until you are able to have an evaluation, please limit activity as much as you are able. Rotate warm and cool compresses on the leg in ten minute intervals, and massage from toes to hip and back down again frequently to stimulate blood flow therefore healing

Until examined please lift to go potty and leash only to minimize running and jumping which can cause further injury.

I hope this information makes sense. It is possible that this is a simple muscle injury but I suspect you would have seen some improvement if that were the case in this length of time. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It can't be a splinter or cut
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She lets me move her leg every which way without crying

Unlikely at this time, no. There would be swelling, discharge, and licking it is more likely orthopedic

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She licks it

Yes I understand and this is very common with a cruciate or patellar issue. There is no pain with manipulation unless done with an experienced hand in which we are trained to manipulate and get a response

Licking can be from tingling or pain as well, it is not specific but the fact that she was lame then better and lame again does point to an orthopedic issue

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can I tell if her foot pad is swollen

Compare it to other toes

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok my son is here. The fat part of her foot he said looks puffy

OK, well based on your information I am guiding you to a veterinary exam and the top differentials for this presentation. If there is a foreign body then your vet will have to remove it and begin pain medications and antibiotics to resolve and restricting until you are able to get her in is advised

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried to it the pic but it won't allow me to

I do not see swelling at this time

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman