Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Not sure but my Yorkie might have eaten 1 Hershey kiss milk

Not sure but my Yorkie might have eaten 1 Hershey kiss milk chocolate.My son says she didnt.Want to make sure she will be ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Yorkshire terror 15 lbs
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes mam
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the animal will be able to digest that. What is the's name and age?
Customer: Gracie 8 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: She seemed a little nerrors earlier and was panting some but my kids do stress her out sometimes.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Yorkie girl Gracie who may have eaten a Hershey's milk chocolate. Would this definitely only have been 1 kiss? When did she potentially eat this - ie, how long ago?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
4 or 5 hours ago my kids say she didn't but I was just curious if she did cause I didn't see.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She was panting earlier but my kids do stress her out some.I did check her breathing for a minute and it was 30 times per minute but she's no longer panting.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I just wanted to make sure my son got a gift and he put some Hershey kiss wrappers in the bag my daughter got the bag out and I found the kiss wrappers in the floor.I don't think there were any Hershey kisses in the bag but wanted to see what to do just on case.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. As you have probably read, chocolate is toxic to dogs, but it all depends on the type of chocolate, the amount ingested and the weight of the dog. Thankfully this was milk chocolate which isn't as toxic as dark chocolate and isn't anywhere near as toxic as baking chocolate or cocoa powder. Although Gracie is pretty small at only 15lbs, thankfully a Hersey's kiss is pretty small as well. As such, the ingestion of 1 x Hershey's milk choc kiss by a 15lb dog won't result in any symptoms of chocolate toxicity at all. If she ate a number of these, then mild symptoms (restlessness, panting and vomiting/diarrhea) could potentially be seen.

As it has been 4 - 5 hours since potential ingestion, if your girl had eaten a number of these, you would likely see some excitability and restlessness right now and/or vomiting and diarrhea. As above, if she only ate one kiss, then she should seem absolutely normal. I hope this gives you some peace of mind? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks so much

No problem at all.

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Everything is good thank you

Great - thank you for the update.