Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Thanks for your question regarding your Yorkie girl Gracie who may have eaten a Hershey's milk chocolate. Would this definitely only have been 1 kiss? When did she potentially eat this - ie, how long ago?
I will wait to hear from you,
Hi again,Thanks for that. As you have probably read, chocolate is toxic to dogs, but it all depends on the type of chocolate, the amount ingested and the weight of the dog. Thankfully this was milk chocolate which isn't as toxic as dark chocolate and isn't anywhere near as toxic as baking chocolate or cocoa powder. Although Gracie is pretty small at only 15lbs, thankfully a Hersey's kiss is pretty small as well. As such, the ingestion of 1 x Hershey's milk choc kiss by a 15lb dog won't result in any symptoms of chocolate toxicity at all. If she ate a number of these, then mild symptoms (restlessness, panting and vomiting/diarrhea) could potentially be seen.
As it has been 4 - 5 hours since potential ingestion, if your girl had eaten a number of these, you would likely see some excitability and restlessness right now and/or vomiting and diarrhea. As above, if she only ate one kiss, then she should seem absolutely normal. I hope this gives you some peace of mind? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
No problem at all.
Great - thank you for the update.