Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog had a liquid just coming out of her rectum, clearish

my dog had a liquid just coming out of her rectum, clearish with a few specks of white. she is also drooling a little. She is acting as if she doesnt feel well. What should i do for her?

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Is she passing diarrhea too? Did she have any new Thanksgiving food or new foods or get into something? Is she eating as usual? What is her age and weight?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No new food, not sure if she has eaten anything in the backyard. she weight about 30 lbs, she is 4 years old... not dure of her breed, we found her as a puppy. She is drooling constantly. Started about an hour ago

Ok thank you , And her age? And is she having diarrhea or vomiting?

I can not call now. If you would like I can opt out and see if another vet is online who can call. Or we can proceed with text chat.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She is four years old. She is vomitting , her food, and a brown color fluid. She has not actually had diarrhea, liquid is just coming out as she walks or sits
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
we can chat

Thank you,

It sounds like she has an upset stomach and possibly colitis which is inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. When the colon is inflamed mucous and liquid can be produced and it sounds like that is what you are seeing. Often the colitis is caused by a bacterial or parasitic infection.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
anything we can do for her from home or does she need to go to emergency vet?

I can give you some over the counter recommendations to try. But if that does not work then she will need to see a vet.

Try Pepto bismol.

1/3 tablet or 1 teaspoon per each 10 pounds of dog. It can be given every 8 hours.

I would start with that.

Wait until she has not vomited for 2-3 hours or she may vomit it back up.

Pick up her food and water dish for now.

When she has not vomited for a few hours but a few sips of water in her dish. If she drinks too much at once she may vomit.

If she can not keep water down for more than 12 hours she will dehydrate. Also if she continues drooling or passing liquid stool she will dehydrate.

So if this goes on for more than 12 hours she needs to see the emergency vet.

Also if she vomits or passes blood rectally she needs to see the emergency vet.

If her gums turn pale or purple she needs to see the ER vet as she may be dehydrated or in shock.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank You, ***** ***** give it a try. She has had drooling in the past, we gave her some benadryl and that resolved it. We will try thr pepto.

So do not feed her any food for 12 hours. Then offer her one bite of plain cooked turkey or plain cooked chicken and rice. Wait an hour to see if she has any vomiting or diarrhea. If she does then she definitely needs to see a vet.

If she does not gradually increase the amount of chicken and rice you feed her.

It is fine to give benadryl with the pepto at the same time.

Actually if the benadryl worked in the past then she was having an allergic reaction which caused the nausea and drooling.

So the benadryl with the pepto may work well.

Glad to help : )

Do you have any other questions right now?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not at this time, we are going to try the suggestions you offered. Again Thank You!!!

You are very welcome. I will be online for the next few hours if anything changes. : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Good morning, thank you, ***** ***** doing much better. The pepto and Benadryl seemed to work!! ThanK you again!!!!

That is great! I am so glad to hear it. You are welcome : )