Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

If you take antibiotics and your dog licks you alot can she

Customer Question

If you take antibiotics and your dog licks you alot can she get a yeast infection from the antibiotics I've been on them for years
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I am not sure if I completely understand the question, so let me know if I am off the mark. If you are on oral antibiotics, she won't get any of the antibiotic in her system if she licks your skin often, so it isn't something I would be worried about. I assume that you are worried about her getting a yeast infection due to overgrowth from antibiotic in her system killing off most of the beneficial bacteria? Again, not something I would worry about. She would have to be on oral antibiotics herself for a long period of time for that to even be a concern. I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if it doesn't.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 days ago.
Hi Vandy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. I was just following up to see how your Pom is doing and to see if you have any further questions.