Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Do dogs get colds? Both of my dogs are wheezing, coughing

Customer Question

Do dogs get colds?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Both of my dogs are wheezing, coughing and sneezing?
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Age 5 and 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Age 5?
Customer: Have only been around my brother's dogs so, not at risk of anything
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dogs don't contract cold viruses but they do suffer from their own bacterial and viral respiratory infections such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") which can be caused by a constellation of infectious bacteria and viruses. Bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria (similar to the Bordetella of whooping cough in people) and the parainfluenza virus are most common. Canine influenza is another consideration.

In the great majority of cases, dogs suffering from infectious tracheobronchitis will remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. I rarely treat adult dogs with antibiotics because of that fact but dogs who worsen instead of improving over the initial week from the onset of symptoms might be prescribed either doxycycline or potentiated amoxicillin - the antibiotics of choice for addressing Bordetella. Your brother's dogs might break with this infection. Another dog in your neighborhood may have "seeded" the air with these infectious agents. While there's often a history of associating with other dogs in a dog park, groomer, or kennel, that isn't necessarily so. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.