Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Laying on side he cried - when picked up his head telted -

Customer Question

Laying on side he cried - when picked up his head telted - laid on my stomach was able to get up and drink. He's a 15 year old Peke.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Trying to look up stroke - think it might be a TIA like in humans. The same thing occurred 3 months ago. Otherwise he's healthy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about TIA?
Customer: I mean a small stroke?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Peke. You may be correct. Vocalizing and a profound change in mentation (mental status) - often obtundation or coma - is seen with significant strokes in dogs. Just as in people, however, milder strokes - TIAs, e.g. - do occur and when involving areas controlling vestibular (balance) functions such as the cerebellum and brain stem can cause head tilt (as well as nystagmus/eyes flicking back and forth and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). We don't have specific therapy for strokes but we do investigate for systemic disorders that may predispose to stroke such as thromboembolic (blood clot producing) disorders and disorders that predispose to hypertension. Your Peke's vet is likely to recommend blood pressure assessment and a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?