Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a male dog and his weight is 65 lbs. He seems to have

Customer Question

I have a male dog and his weight is 65 lbs. He seems to have a nasty uti infection. He has a blood discharge while just sitting in his kennel. I have some levofloxacin 750 MG. What's the dosage he can have
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Little man is his name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No other things going on with him
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Little Man. Levofloxacin (Levaquin) is best avoided in dogs due to its wide range of adverse effects in this species. In immature dogs, severe joint damage occurs. In mature dogs we've seen tendon ruptures, liver damage, and changes in the blood glucose level. Less commonly, joint damage might arise. Another drug in the same fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics such as enrofloxacin or marbofloxacin should be considered because this class of antibiotic penetrates well into the prostate gland. All urinary tract infection in dogs are expected to involve the prostate causing an acute prostatitis and the bleeding you're seeing from his penis. In most cases, castration plus the antibiotic is curative within a couple of weeks. When antibiotics alone are prescribed, protracted antibiotic therapy (4-6 weeks) is necessary and recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) is common.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
This is the only antibiotic I have on hand.

I would hold off until his vet could prescribe a more appropriate antibiotic. If that's not possible, dosing has been recommended at 5 mg/lb once daily (325 mg or, practically speaking, 1/2 of a 750 mg tablet once daily for Little Man for 7-10 days). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?