Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My ShihTzu Maltese mix is scratching and chewing a couple

Customer Question

My ShihTzu Maltese mix is scratching and chewing a couple places on her body, mostly at her underarm area and inside back legs and knees. These are getting raw and I dont know what I can put on these areas to help her that wont hurt her if she licks it. She is 7 years old and this is new
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. With severe itching, especially if affecting various areas on the body, you will have a hard time controlling the itching with just a topical. They usually need something oral, specifically a short course of corticosteroids. You can try a cortisone ointment. If she licks a little bit of that, it won't hurt. You can also try an oatmeal based or cortisone based shampoo, leaving it on for 10 minutes before rinsing. That will probably help better, but you will have a hard time really controlling this without a prescription for prednisone. In general, Benadryl does a poor job of controlling moderate to severe itching with dogs. Typically it is safe to give to dogs at 12.5 mg per 10-15 lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. The only exceptions would be certain heart, lung or eye problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Connie Kahl. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Shih Tzu/Maltese is doing and to see if you have any further questions.