Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We have a three year old shorkie that has been coughing

Customer Question

We have a three year old shorkie that has been coughing every now and again and this morning had diarrhea that looked like an egg. She is otherwise acting okay for the most part. We have another dog in our home that had nine puppies about 8 weeks ago and she is very playful with them but wonder if she maybe caught something from them as well. They all appear healthy. We have also just recently changed her pet food from Blue Buffalo to Iams. Thoughts???
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Molly. There appears to be concurrent disorders present. Coughing every now and then in a Shorkie suggest collapsing trachea (windpipe) in this breed but coughing is a nonspecific sign seen in infectious and allergic upper and lower respiratory diseases. Neoplasia (cancer) shouldn't be an improtant differential diagnosis at Molly's age. Unless the pups were coughing, I wouldn't incriminate them for an infectious cough of Molly's. Molly's vet can perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to Molly's nasopharynx looking for inflammatory changes suggestive of infection or allergy and X-rays of Molly's chest might be suggested in an attempt to spot a collapsing trachea.

Her diarrhea this morning may indicate too abrupt of a food change but, once again, diarrhea is a nonspecific sign that need only be "watchful waited" on at this time to see if it persists. Considering the new pups, spread of intestinal parasites such as roundworms would be an important consideration and so you can worm Molly with the same wormer you've administered to the pups. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.