Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 7 year old golden retriever who had his first

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old golden retriever who had his first seizure 6 weeks ago - We really didn't know what was going on - he started to stomp his front legs and could not stop. we got him to lay down and the symptoms passes. He had another this Thursday - same symptoms except he was trying to go outside so I didn't realize what was happening until he got outside. Again we laid him down and the symptoms abated. He had another this morning and again tried to go outside and slipped and fell. We talked him through the episode and he calmed down and after about 5 minutes got up and picked up his ball and started wagging his tail. I am taking him to the vet on Monday morning but am very anxious and worried about my pal. He seems totally normal in every way - HELP!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not really - our dog does not display any twitching or other symptoms - It starts fast and he is scared when it is happening. After it is over he is calm and content.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your golden. You've described complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Your vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if your golden should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of a previous one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.