Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog sounds like he's trying to clear his throat, I

Customer Question

My dog sounds like he's trying to clear his throat, I thought maybe he had a fur ball but it's been happening for 2 or more weeks now, I thought when he vomited he would stop but he hasn't, it's everyday lasts quite a while then starts again later. I've looked up a
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no he's not a great eater he'll only eat what's in his bowl if we're lucky. I've tried to get him to drink whilst doing but I don't think he can, I've tried looking in his mouth but he won't allow that and goes for me, I rub his theist when he he's making the sounds it helps a little but he carries on. Other than that he's ok in himself. I've read up on sneezing but it doesn't sound like the symptoms when he's doing it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max and he's 6, ***** ***** cross yorkie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Russell?
Customer: Sorry his names max. He has no health problems other than anxiety which he's always had
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

How long has it been since that vomit?

Has he had any coughing?

Any throat tenderness or coughing fits if you press on the throat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi it's been just over 2 weeks, I had hoped it would've cleared by now. It's been a week since vomit there was nothing of size in his vomit and still carried on. He can go a few hours with nothing then he'll start again. When he allows me to run his throat it seems to calm just a little, I can't feel anything through his fur, I'm not able to check inside his his mouth as he won't let me. It sounds like he's trying to clear something and when he can't he then gags.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you

Now Max's signs do raise a few concerns.

From what you reported, I do suspect we may have an inflammation of the esophagus (which could be due to that vomit or if he has acid reflux) or possible inflammation the trachea (though I'd have expected more of a coughing situation for him). Of course, with how long this has been ongoing, we do have to keep in mind that there is a risk of bacterial tracheitis, lungworm, or possible polyps/growths in the throat region.

With this in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care. To generally soothe his throat we can try a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Though since we have had that vomit and since acid reflux would explain these persisting signs, I'd also suggest treating with an OTC liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia -0.5tsp every 12 hours). That way we can coat the esophagus, reduce stomach acid and generally soothe the stomach to see if we can settle this. As well, just for the short term do also feed a canned or soft diet. If he is a dog that will only take kibble you could even soak this, just to reduce any abrasive materials on the throat as we are trying to settle this.

As well, if he hasn't been treated for lungworm recently, you could treat with Milbemax wormer or Advocate spot on treatment to address that.

I would suggest the above for the next few days. If he settles, we are happy. Though if this lingers, then a check up would be ideal to help make sure those other issues aren't present but to also have his vet start a dog safe anti-inflammatory +/- antibiotics if needed to nip this in the bud for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )