Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 4 year old terrier mix.... All that a terrier

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 4 year old terrier mix.... All that a terrier embodies (bouncy, personable...). Took him in to er vet on Sunday for random yelping. Thought a leg might be injured. Pain meds dispensed. X-rays and blood work done on Monday at regular vet. They saw nothing of note physically. Today, blood work Congress back perfect. However, behavior has indicated worsening problem since Tuesday. Yelps randomly. Won't sit/lay down for long periods and whines, doesn't bend down to eat/drink, but sometimes will if it's held up to him, isn't reacting normally (no barking, even at strangers in house or vacuum).…. That's WITH the pain med and anti inflammatory meds. Don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lad!

I share your concern here. His continued discomfort despite treatment, reluctance to bend to eat/drink (especially this and do raise his bowl for him to access it), and the intermittent yelping you reported make me concerned that we have a possible neck issue. Specifically, I'd be worried about a nerve being pinched or possibly a disc in the vertebrae being inflamed or moving/rupturing such that it is pinching/compressing the spine. In this case, as he hasn't responded to standard pain relief and rest, we'd really want his vet to reassess him at this point. They may need to add in muscle relaxants and further pain drugs to see if they can get him comfortable. Otherwise it may be worth speaking to them about a potential referral to a vet neurologist +/- MRI. If there is a disc about to rupture, these sometimes needs to be handled surgically (just to note if he were to go off his back legs, then that would be an emergency situation) but in any case we need to manage this better then just the anti-inflammatories if he isn't responding to that treatment

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )