Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our Maltese, just rubbed his chin on the carpet and has left

Customer Question

Our Maltese, just rubbed his chin on the carpet and has left a raw bleeding chin. I cleaned and dried. What else can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Maltese?
Customer: He is diabetic
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How deep is the lesion?

Any pus or discharge?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No discharge today, no deep wounds. He's a licker, so I'm trying to keep his cone off, and keeping his paws from being kicked until they also bleed. I'm so frustrated and cannot afford to take him to another vet. It's always several hundreds of dollars.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

Poor lad!

He is quite inflamed there and we may have a spreading moist dermatitis present. In regards ***** ***** at the moment, we'd want to start some supportive topical care for him. To start, if he is chewing his feet raw, you can use the topical care I will outline but try putting baby socks over his feet to block his access if we cannot keep the cone on (which may be what has rubbed his neck raw).

Otherwise, for his neck, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help with infection and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma from his back feet, we can put socks on those as well, keep his nails short/blunt, and could put a light gauze wrap over this to let it dry/breathe but protect it.

As well, since these rashes can be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe nor has pimples, pustules, crusting, or scabs; we can try the above for your lad. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or he doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked so that systemic/oral treatment may be dispense to clear this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.