Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Which dog is the best option for a sick person who can do

Customer Question

which dog is the best option for a sick person who can do almost everything but extremely slow because of the pain in the body. the person has a very good empathy to the animals, very good understanding, how a dog "works".
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 7 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. That is a difficult question, because there are so many dogs that could potentially be great for someone who has some limitations. There is no one breed that I recommend in this situation. I would start with a visit to the local shelter or a rescue organization. I would talk to the organization and let them know that you are looking for a middle aged to older dog that would be a good "lap" dog. Is this dog for you or are you looking for someone else? You may want to start with Petfinder to get an idea of what dogs are available. Meeting the dog and spending time together, several times will help determine if he/she is the right fit. I would definitely avoid getting a puppy or a large breed dog. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue asking questions, after rating my response, for several days. If you would like to post your town and state, I may be able to help you find a local rescue group. Take care.