Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Eyes water so bad his face stays wet and he is and always

Customer Question

eyes water so bad his face stays wet and he is white and always has tear stanes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Joey i year old aHaveneas
JA: How old is Joey I?
Customer: 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joey I?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Joey. Such a young dog is likely to be suffering from a congenital (present at birth) anatomical defect such as missing or blocked tear ducts that would ordinarily drain tears into his nose, misplaced or redundant eyelashes irritating the cornea, or perhaps eyelid deformities such as entropion (the lids are rolling back into the eye and irritating the cornea) or ectropion (the lids are everted outwards). Joey's vet needs to carefully examine Joey's eyes and check that Joey has tear ducts and that they're patent. If his vet is uncomfortable performing such an exam, please consider having Joey see a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist as can be found here: www.acvo.org/

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.