Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

A bout with colitis. Her anus is irritated. I need a safe,

Customer Question

A bout with colitis. Her anus is irritated. I need a safe, home remedy immediately to relieve the irritation. What is good?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: A bout with colitis. She ate something bad. Don't know what but dogs will pick up anything and try to eat it. Her rectum is sore. What is a safe home remedy?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy is 10 years old. No vet available at this late hour?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 9 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm sorry to hear about Lucy. One thing you can try is to gently wash the area with soap and water then apply some A & D ointment like you would with a baby with diaper rash. You may need to cover the area (doggie diaper) or put a cone or E-collar on Lucy so she doesn't rub or lick the area. That usually works pretty well. If you need any further help just let me know. Otherwise if you could provide a rating I would appreciate it. It is the only way I get credit for my response. Thanks