Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Shes been vomiting on and off all afternoon - mucus with

Customer Question

Shes been vomiting on and off all afternoon - white mucus with fluid - she's panting and restless and trembling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of ...she shes been inside most of the day...
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Karma 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karma?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
messaging is fine
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that Karma isn't feeling well, vomiting mucous and white fluid all afternoon, panting and trembling/restless.

She is likely dehydrated because she is vomiting so much, but if even water is making her vomit you need to take it away from her for now.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting in young dogs include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.

In a young dog, especially if she never finished her puppy vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause of her symptoms and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response.

Because her vomiting has gone all and she feels so poorly otherwise ideally she would see a veterinarian today. This amount of vomiting can lead to dehydration easily and she needs fluids with repeated vomiting.

If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if she isn't responding quickly she should see a veterinarian promptly.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her. If she refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.

But if things go well and she does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to a regular diet.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if she refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 days ago.

You are very welcome.