Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She is 52 pounds and ate a 20mg escitalopram, Penny, She's 9

Customer Question

She is 52 pounds and ate a 20mg escitalopram
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?
Customer: She's 9 and also ate fish oil pill and a protonix
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

How long ago was this ingestion? At 52 pounds (23.6 kg) this would be an ingestion concentration of 0.8 mg/kg which we would expect to see some incoordination and or lethargy that may last for 12-24 hours.At higher doses we may see tremors or hypervocialization

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tbsp & 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Luckily this is not a toxic dose but can cause the above symptoms so inducing vomiting would be advised if this occurred in the last hour

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it did happen in the last hour.

Great than let's be safe and see if we can remove this from her system. If you don't induce vomiting and see any of the more serious signs of ataxia (walking drunk) then please consider a veterinary er but likely at this dose you will not have any issues and this is definitely not a toxic dose for Penny

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am going to be taking a dinner break but wanted to check in to see if you were able to induce vomiting or if I can be of any further assistance this evening?

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Penny to see how she is doing today? I would love an update when you are able