Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She is bleeding - cycle stopped about a month ago, she is

Customer Question

She is bleeding - cycle stopped about a month ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she is fine otherwise she is 11 years old, female toy poodle
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As female dogs get older they sometimes get an erratic reproductive cycle so it is possible that this is what you are seeing, dogs do not get a menopause by the way.

2. However the big worry is that your dog may be in the early stage of a womb disease called pyometra, and this can be a very serious disease. While it is very encouraging that your dog is acting normally at present any form of bleeding one month or so after the last season is very suggestive of pyometra in a dog of your one's age group.

3. Sadly there are no possible home remedies so the best advice is to have your Toy Poodle checked out with your vet at the next possible opportunity just to be on the safe side.

4. While I would stress that your dog may only be in an early stage of pyometra at present here is a link to an accurate article which covers this disease in more depth. : LINK

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her possible womb infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?