Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

A diabetic dog, has diarrhea, and not much energy. What can

Customer Question

A diabetic dog, has diarrhea , and not much energy. What can I feed her? She's been on green beans,chicken breasts and brown rice. Also mix that withcalifornia natural dry dog food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie, min schnauzer 12 years. On 11 units insulin and still adjusting to right units for 2 months with vet.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: No he has run blood work. Pancriatitus and diabetic. Also on viokase after every meal.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 days ago.

While she is having diarrhea I would ONLY feed her the plain cooked chicken breasts mixed with the brown rice. No green beans and no California natural dog food. Once the diarrhea resolves over a few days time gradually add in the green beans and dog food.

You can give her one dose of immodium ad to help stop the diarrhea. That is an over the counter human medication to slow diarrhea.

1/4 tablet per each 10 pounds of dog.

If the diarrhea becomes like water consistency or if there is blood or if she stops eating then she needs to see a vet.

You may want to call the regular vet right now and make an appointment for tomorrow morning. Most vets are open on Saturday mornings and then you could avoid the emergency vet. Then if she is better in the morning you can call and cancel her appointment.

How does that sound? Do you have any additional questions?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars.

Thank You : )