Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Could the black stool be caused by eating med. rare beef?

Customer Question

could the black stool be caused by eating med. rare beef ? she has anemia due to tick fever / trying to get iron levels up to help produce more red blood cells / she is under vet care with proper medications
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: have follow up appt. in a week / she has spells of shallow rapid breathing / vet is aware
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 13 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Black or dark tarry stools can be a sign of bleeding in the upper GI tract. I wouldn't expect to see them as a results of eating medium rare beef. If your dog is has anemia, I would definitely recommend calling your vet and letting them know about the stools, as it could give them more information about her anemia (perhaps it could be due to a bleeding issue and not just tick fever), or it could be a result of medication she is taking, and they will likely want to prescribe additional medications to treat possible GI ulceration.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 days ago.
Hi Doug,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jess K
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
found the information to be basic / did have vet visit / she is going through false pregnancy - explains labored breathing / stool discoloration due to anemia medications