jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

She has spots around her urethra area and the hair is also

Customer Question

Hi, she has brown spots around her urethra area and the hair is also dark brown.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: aspen she is 1 1/2 labradoodle
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: aspen
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about aspen?
Customer: No, i can send a pic if that helps.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have added a photo of the rash
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 16 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How long has she been licking the area?

Is she spayed?

Is she on a good flea preventative?

Is there a rash or just brown areas on the skin?

Have you seen any kind of discharge?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She hasn't really been licking it too much. I believe she has had the rash for a few weeks. I live in Utah and the vet didn't recommend flea prevention. It is just the brown areas on the skin and her hair on her urethra is much darker. I have not seen any discharge. I have added a picture as well.

I saw the picture. Dog tears and saliva contain an enzyme that causes a chemical reaction on the hair turning it red and then brownish like you are seeing. . There are many products on the market to remove this. They are marketed as Dog tear Stain Removers.

The website below has a different approach suggesting altering your dog's pH levels to prevent the staining which you may wish to look at.

http://bichonhealth.org/HealthInfo/TearStaining.asp

There is also an antibiotic that your vet can prescribe called Tylan that has been shown to be useful to stop tears and saliva from discoloring a dog’s coat. You will want to ask your vet about this. It looks like she may have developed a staph and or yeast dermatitis in the area. If there is a whitish discharge from the vulva that might indicate vaginitis which can lead to excessive licking. Excessive licking can damage the skin and allow yeast of staph normally present on the skin to multiply unchecked by the skins immune system.

Now miconazole cream available at your pharmacy can help with a yeast dermatitis. Yeast dermatitis often turns the skin dark and often has a musty odor to the skin. Staph tends to be a pimple like rash and antibiotics are often prescribed for staph infections. You will likely have to have her seen by your vet to have appropriate antibiotics prescribed if you don't see improvement with miconazole cream.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 14 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 3 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.