Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I am dog sitting a 13 year old female that I know well. She

Customer Question

I am dog sitting a 13 year old female that I know well. She got up this morning and could barely walk. and when she did she veered to one side. We usually go for a good walk and this a.m. she did her business but kept falling to the side. I have her inside and almost had to carry her to the rug.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lilly, it isn't lethargy she is having trouble walking
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilly?
Customer: no...everything was fine yesterday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does she have a head tilt?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did she get into anything?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. no
2. no
3. recently had surgery for a flipped stomach but has recovered well...she has meds , previcox, amatadine, and phenylpropanolamine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no she didn't get in to anything

1- How long has it been since she had surgery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
September

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No other symptoms pink gums with black on top

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with Lily while pet sitting. In response to your question, when a dog has a quick onset of motor dysfunction this could be the result of either primary neuromuscular disorders or secondary to a systemic disease. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination, I am sorry. But, common causes are a pinched nerve as a result of a bulging disc, severe arthritis, brain tumors, thromboembolic (stroke-like), liver disease, infections, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. There is nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. Lily should be seen by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results, if possible, I would have her seen by ER veterinarian. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter