Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I bread my three-year-old husky for the first time last

I bread my three-year-old husky for the first time last Sunday .
I noticed blood in her urine two days ago what should I do

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about Saberina

There are many reasons to have blood in the urine.
We often think of infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the urinary tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. In her case a rough breeding and irritation of her urogenital tract mucosa is a possible cause too.

Was the male tested for Brucellosis before breeding? This is a sexually transmitted bacterial disease. All dogs should be tested to make sure that they are clear before breeding as this is a zoonotic (can be passed to people via contact with urine, urogenital secretions and saliva from an infected dog). It can cause infertility and abortions/still births.

Are her gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then she likely hasn't lost enough blood to make her anemic.

Is he bleeding only when she passes urine (is she constantly straining and dribbling urine) or does the bleeding seem independent of passing urine?

If the bleeding is when she passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in his urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in his urinary tract.

If the bleeding is independent of her passing urine the concerns would be trauma to her urogenital tract, a mass, or a clotting abnormality.

So until we have a diagnosis a recommendation for treatment and medications is hard.

If she were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of her abdomen to look at her kidneys and bladder for signs of stones. Since this is post breeding if they were not checked for Brucellosis that should be done, and a swab of her genital tract for culture would be a good idea. There are some antibiotics that are not safe during pregnancy, but there are some that are. We want to choose an effective antibiotic based on culture that is safe for her and her puppies given her breeding.

If she had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check her clotting function too.
If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 days and a Brucellosis test would be reasonable to start.
But if I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.
And I'd recommend a recheck of her urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of her bladder/kidneys is needed.

All you can do for her at home now is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food or feed her canned food.

Give her ice cubes to lick. Offer her fresh water frequently.

And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate.

If she is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting or refuses to eat, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or her gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them, thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you this is helpful

You are very welcome, my best to your girl.