Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is getting treatments for parvo and he got an IV of

Customer Question

My dog is getting treatments for parvo and he got an IV of fluid around noon. It's past midnight, he's in a lot of pain and there appears to be a sack of fluid on his chest. What the heck is going on?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if Hotch has a sack of fluid accumulating at the chest under the skin, this suggests that his blood protein levels are too low (a common side effect from Parvo) and the IV fluids are leaking from the blood vessels. We'd be concerned that if we are seeing this, there may also be fluid accumulating in the lungs as well. Furthermore, this does not tend to cause pain, so we'd be worried about a possible gut twist, gut damage from the Parvo or possibly an unrelated urinary blockage (if he hasn't passed urine).

In this case, there is unfortunately not much that can be done at home and we'd really need him to the ER vet for at the very least pain control. But if the fluid is accumulating, he may need a blood protein transfusion (colloids or plasma) or the vet may even need to start diuretics to undo this for him. And at the same time they can of course determine the source of pain and if it is one of those urgently issues, address that for him.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hotch. How is everything going?

Dr. B.