Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

She sounded winded the past 2 days when she down, like a big

Customer Question

she sounded winded the past 2 days when she laid down, like a big groan. then tonight she she was drooling and had something goin on with her she couldn't jump up on the couch and she was coughing or dry heaving. now it's the middle of the night and she is throwing up clear mucus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she is only 4 always healthy spoiled rotten baby, never missed her shots, did have an allergic reaction to oral flea and tic medicine last month
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl who has had some coughing and who is bringing up mucus tonight. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There a few things that could be happening here with your girl over the last few days and tonight, and from what you have said, it is more likely she coughed up the clear mucus rather than vomiting it up. If the coughing is becoming more regular, then we have to consider whether this could be from irritation from pulling on the leash, or whether there is a primary lung issue here like infectious canine cough (aka canine influenza). If she has been in contact with other dogs, we definitely need to consider this, and this typically causes a 'goose honk' type of cough. If this seems to be the case with your girl, then getting her seen by your local vet first thing tomorrow morning would be a good idea. If she pulls on the leash, then this cough could be from irritation to the trachea. As such - you should try her with a 'halti' to see if she will stop pulling and train her to heel, otherwise, you could try her with a harness instead of a collar if she doesn't already have one.

If you think she definitely vomiting tonight rather than coughed, then she is likely still nauseous right now and as such, you may want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Hopefully she is otherwise ok at the moment. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl and if this coughing/breathing issue continues tonight, please do get her seen first thing tomorrow morning. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it is definitely throw up and the cough was more like a dry heave thing and that only happened a couple of times but she has thrown up at least 4 times clear slimey mucus
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Oh dear! Poor girl. In that case, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

You could also try the Pepcid tonight (as above) as well.

All the best with your girl,

Dr E

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
her nose and gums are really cold and she has a couple of really dark spots on her gums
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Ok - the dark spots are likely areas of pigment, but hopefully the pink areas have a normal refill time. Continue to keep an eye on her and if her breathing isn't right in an hour, or if she continues to vomit, then do get her seen tonight.

All the best,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 days ago.

Hi again,

How is your girl doing now? It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E