Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 12 year old dachshund has become extremely itchy within

Customer Question

hello, my 12 year old dachshund has become extremely itchy within the past 24-48 hours. she is excessively itching and biting her rump and scratching with her legs. when i itch her, she gets that euphoric look in her eye that shows some relief, but lets me know that she is very miserable. we are on a 2 day cross country road trip, so getting to a vet isn't exactly easy to do. i feed her the standard blue buffalo dog food, i bathe her about every 6 months, she has always had slight dandruff but never any cause for concern. she has not had any chance in food, access to water, or change in environment (up until today) but itching started at home. we have another dog who is not itching. i have used a flea comb and found no fleas or black specs - flea poop(?) tonight i put her in the hotel sink and just got her rump wet with some warm water to see her skin better. it is slightly pinkish from her scratching but not quite red. i try to keep her from scratching because i don't want her to get an infection. what could
be the reasoning for sudden itchiness?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Zooey who has been excessively itchy over the last day or two. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, there are a number of reasons why Zooey might be scratching excessively all of a sudden, and we have to consider the most common causes first and foremost. External parasites is the most common cause of scratching in the dog, however given your other dog is ok, we would more specifically be concerned about fleas, and whether Zooey has a possible flea allergy. It can be very hard to find evidence of fleas if there is only a low burden of them, however it only takes one flea to bite a dog with a flea allergy for there to be intense itching for days. As such, you are best to treat both dogs for fleas first thing tomorrow using an appropriate flea treatment for their weights. Use a reliable product such as Advantage, Advantage multi, Nexguard or Bravecto - all of these are very good.

We also have to consider an environmental allergy, and given this initially started at home, it could be from anything such as dust mites, to mold/mildew, to pollens and grasses. This would also explain whey Zooey is affected, but not your other dog. If Zooey is particulary itchy over her back and around her tail base/rear end, then we also have to consider whether she could have full or impacted anal glands which can cause this sudden intense irritation back there. Also be sure to keep both dogs up to date with their deworming treatments, as intestinal worms can cause irritation around the anus and tail base as well. Drontal and Milbemax are two very reliable all-wormers you could get for them if they aren't up to date.

Other causes include a food allergy (although her food hasn't changed), an allergic reaction to something (such as bug/bee bite or sting), or itching secondary to an internal issue. Given she is an older girl, if she hasn't had a full senior check up recently, then I would definitely recommend this. It would be very rare for this scratching to be due to another internal organ cause, but we can sometimes see that with a liver issue in dogs and cats.

For now, you need to do what you can to stop your girl from hurting herself. If she is licking and scratching excessively, I would definitely recommend that you get Zooey and e-collar/cone to stop this. You can also give her a bath with a gentle dog shampoo, and an oatmeal based canine shampoo is ideal for this scenario. As above - get both dogs up to date with flea and worming treatments asap (tomorrow as possible). For Zooey in the meantime, you may want to try her with a little Benadryl - the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl .

If she is scratching herself raw, or if there is no improvement tomorrow, then you will need to find a nearby vet in the city you have traveled to this weekend, for a full check up, senior blood test and skin diagnostics. All the best with Zooey and I hope her itchiness settles soon. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 days ago.

I'm online for another 20 minutes. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding your girl.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 days ago.

Are you there? Hopefully my messages are getting through. Let me know if you have received them.

Happy thanksgiving,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 days ago.

How are you getting on with your girl now? Send me an update when you get a chance.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zooey. How is everything going?

Pet Doc