Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My miniature pinscher/chihuahua mix ate one pellet of

Customer Question

My miniature pinscher/chihuahua mix ate one green pellet of rat/mouse poison at my parents house. She did not throw up but ate ham, dog food, and drank water. Will she be okay? She is not acting any different. I am just worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: I saw her only get one small green pellet. It was on a dresser drawer my parents got given to them for free so it was not known it was even in there. It did not have a box or anything with it to tell the brand or anything.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

What brand pellet was it?

How much does she weigh?

How long ago did she have this?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Since there was no label with it I can only tell by looking up pictures to identify. It appears to be Ramik brand. It happened about 8 hours ago. She is still acting normal. She has ate ham and dog food since. She has drank a large amount of water and now just drank more. She weighs about 12 lbs.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for noticing my question Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the problem here is that we don't know which toxin is in this pellet. Ramik use both the delayed onset anti-coagulants (which cause internal bleeding) but also Bromethalin (a neurotoxin). Therefore, a few different poisons to consider and with how small she is, I am quite concerned here. This is because while the latter usually causes signs a few hours after eaten (so it makes the neurotoxin a bit less likely here),where the others usually are delayed and cause their terrible signs days to weeks later.

In this case, we need to err on the side of caution for her. To start, it is just within the time frame that we could use activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, as soon as her vet is open, it would be ideal to have them check her, check her clotting factors, and potentially start her on Vitamin K to protect her from those anti-coagulant toxins. That way their effects of stopping the creation of clotting factors won't lead to her having spontaneous bleeds. Or just to note, if you did choose to just monitor her without treatment, do keep an eyes that her gums stay pink, her breathing remains stable, she continues to be active, and do keep her rested to avoid bumps/bruising (since those could lead to more serious bleeds then usual)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is not a pharmacy open here at this time for the charcoal. Her vet will open up at 8 in the morning the same as any pharmacy. What is my time frame on the charcoal? Will I be okay if I take her in right away in the morning to the vet?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Oh dear, these holidays pop up at the wrong time.

We only have ~8 hours post ingestion to use that. In that case, you just need to keep her calm and rested, with a view to having her seen first thing in the morning for Vitamin K +/- a check of her clotting factors.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.