Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Diarrhea after eating a few small bites of turkey, Lady - 14

Customer Question

Diarrhea after eating a few small bites of turkey
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lady - 14 years old mix Lab
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lady?
Customer: Other than hip problems and she has an excessive appetite.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Lady. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 13 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be causing Lady's diarrhea, and while the turkey seems like an obvious cause, we do have to consider whether there is some other issue here. Hopefully Lady is up to date with her deworming treatments, and if not, make sure you get this done tomorrow with a reliable all wormer such as Drontal or Milbemax. As she is an older girl, if you have noticed any other symptoms recently such as increased drinking and urination, reluctance to exercise or difficulty getting up, then do get her seen tomorrow if you can. If she is on medication for her hip issue, then we have to consider whether she is having a reaction to that (especially if this is an anti inflammatory drug, as these can cause GI upset).

For now, you are best to keep her on her regular dog food, but just feed a very small amount tonight and back to the normal amount tomorrow morning. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water and please keep encouraging her to drink, as this will help to ensure she doesn't become dehydrated. As she is older, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully this diarrhea settles tomorrow. If she still has loose feces tomorrow afternoon, you are best to get her and a fresh fecal sample along to your local vet. Here they can examine your girl and send her feces away for a full culture and fecal float to rule out infection or parasites. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 13 days ago.

Hopefully all of those parameters are fine. I will be online for another 20 minutes or so. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E