Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She is six month rotty with hip displcia and she is in pain,

Customer Question

she is six month rotty with hip displcia and she is in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: rottweiler six month
JA: OK. What is the rottweiler's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: she has been check resently and she is all good
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear Luna has dysplasia. The only safe over the counter pain medication is aspirin.

An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

There are so many options available to us now to help our beloved four-legged friends outside of the normal nonsteroidals (rimadyl, previcox, aspirin, metacam, deramaxx) available through your veterinarian. I will list them individually but all can be used in combination to assist your dog in getting comfortable

1.) Gabapentin- this is called neurontin in people. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a senior pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially

2.) Tramadol- this is in the opioid class so it is given as needed for pain when there are bad days. It can be given longterm to senior pets two to three times daily if needed

3.) Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable to build strength. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessions

4.) Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again

5.) Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg daily, fish oil with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort

6.) Depending on your pet's size, a help em up harness that is used to support standing and moving to minimize injury to your back but also prevent further injury to you pet. http://helpemup.com

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
will she ever lead a noraml like she is only six months old

There are surgeries that can be performed to improve her quality of life and if her dysplasia is severe something to consider for her but yes you can take steps to improve her quality of life (surgery, pain management, physical therapy)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
but there is no magic cure that will make her 100% she is always going to handicapped by this condition ?

There is no cure, there are surgeries such as total hip replacements that, just as in people, will return her to normal activities. I have numerous patients that were diagnosed young and kept to a normal activity level and comfort longterm by taking certain steps to do so

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have read about two operations one where thay replace every thing the other where they break pelvis and relighn.
which one you suggest

Not all dogs are good candidates for the TPO surgery you mentioned. If she is then this would be something to consider but a surgical consult would be necessary to determine if this is an option.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is iot unusal to find in dog so young. Is there a chance that as she grows this condition will get better

Dogs are born with this condition and it will progress, most people thing of dysplasia as something old dogs get but it is the arthritis that forms that causes the problem as they age. She is young now so she is dyplastic if her hips are shallow jointed on x-rays but very likely no arthritis. It will not resolve without treatment and not outgrown

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am considering putting hwe down. she is not responding well to meds and I feel that her quaility of life is not going to get much better. Do you thimk I am over reacting

I do think you need to meet with a surgeon to have her assessed before jumping to euthanasia. Just because she isn't responding to medications doesn't mean, 1.) You haven't found the right pain medications, 2.) She wouldn't respond to surgery

I am online another 15 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 12 days ago.

Good evening (here in the states), I wanted to check in on you both. Can I assist with any additional questions?

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!