Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She had black runny stools and whith foamy vomit last night.

Customer Question

she had black runny stools and whith foamy vomit last night. This morning no stools but pink vomit. Two times. But nothing since then. Just very sad and listless.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is seven years old.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She is drinking water. Also going #1. She seems much more alert today. Just won't eat. I made her some brown rice.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She just went pee. She was able to run down and then up the stairs. I think she she is getting better.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She doesn't eat things that are not hers.
Her nose is runny on one side though.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She won't let me pick her up. And she won't jump on my lap. Must hurt inside someplace.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Should I call my vet?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that she is more active but I suspect she has belly pain and I have to say that I am still concerned about her. Our big worry we have here is that black feces. The reason that this is a serious concern because black tarry feces (melena) is something we see when a animal has a bleed in the upper region of the gastrointestinal tract (ie stomach or upper GI). The reason why the blood discolors the feces to black is due to the body digesting the blood as it passes down the intestine.

In regards ***** ***** for upper GI bleeds, the most common causes are stomach ulcers, stomach damage due to foreign body ingestion, adverse reaction to some medications, and stomach or intestinal tumors. And it is worth noting that all of these issues would cause vomiting (possibly that scant blood that discolored it to pink), anorexia, lethargy, belly discomfort, and that worrying black feces.

With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping your gal (especially since we cannot see into her bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate the stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get her to the vet urgently. They can help diagnose what is triggering her signs and get her onto some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-vomiting medication to help us get her eating again (since an empty stomach means there is nothing for the stomach acid to digest but the stomach itself). Furthermore, they can fully examine her to ensure there is nothing else afoot putting her off her food that could have caused this as a secondary issue.

If you cannot get her to the vet immediately, then I would say to at least consider treating her with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. Common pet safe options we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8 hours. Of course, if she cannot even keep this down then injectable anti-vomiting and ulcer medication would be needed.

Overall, I am quite concerned about the signs you are seeing . They are tell us that we have an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of a stomach ulcer or possibly something worse. Therefore, it would be ideal to get her checked right away. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat her with an antacid now and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or paling of her gums).

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you today. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.