Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He ate 1.5 ounces of rently Broadiolone rat poisoning we

Customer Question

He ate 1.5 ounces of rently Broadiolone rat poisoning we made him throw up but now what
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yeah that was in my first text
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am glad to see that you got him to vomit and hopefully he brought this all back up. That said, since these anti-coagulant based poisons are so dangerous we do need to be thorough. Especially since they aren't instantly fatal but will just block the production of clotting factors leading to dangerous bleeds days to weeks after they eat these.

With this in mind, the next step here would be to treat with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs for the first 24 hours. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit any residual toxin absorption and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, as soon as you can get in contact with a local vet, we'd want to have them dispense Vitamin K +/- start him on an vitamin K supplement via injection. This will help replace those clotting factors in the weeks to come and help limit the risk of spontaneous bleeds in his body. And while we use this, we will often rest them to just avoid any possible risks of bruising or injury while he is vulnerable to reduced clotting.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just called our Pharmacy they only have the one out on the shelf used for gas. Any other suggestions as to where to het it on a holiday?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

You can use the ones for gas, but you just need to open the capsules until you get enough to meet that dose level. Else you can ring the local ER vet and as the high strength charcoal isn't prescription, they should be willing to dispense it for you.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Happy Thanksgiving.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Happy holidays to you too and best wishes,

Dr. B.