Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

60 lb golden retreiver just ate a up turkey carcass from a

Customer Question

Blaze, 60 lb golden retreiver just ate a burnt up turkey carcass from a neighbor's turkey fryer- they threw it out in my cornfield. Blaze is 1.... Sleeping from being worn out from family here... Out all day. What should I do? Thx for your help! Carol
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Blaze will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blaze?
Customer: i've had him only 1 month.... He was trained as a hunter, but won't hunt, so i won the Dog Lottery & found him. My point is everything is new to him- never had people food - been in a large kennel with other hunting dogs being trained. I will do whatever is bedt for him! kennel
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Carol,

The main concern are the bones in the turkey carcass. But when you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this sort of thing on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers, and so most of them will get away with it.

1. Basically if Blaze is not showing any adverse symptoms at present then very often the best thing to do is to just sit it out, just monitor him and see what happens.

2. You see in my experience most dogs will get way with this, but at this point all you can now do is to sit it out as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover sharp objects like the turkey bones as this can cause damage to the throat on the way back up. However what may help though is to feed your dog a few slices of bread or some mashed potato shortly after they ate the turkey bones { Big dogs more, little dogs less } because this can form round any bone fragments and help protect the alimentary tract lining as the bits of turkey bone pass along. I find this very often helps in these cases.

3. For dogs to swallow turkey bones and similar they usually have to crunch them into smaller pieces and normally they will eventually pass without too much problem in my experience. And another factor which helps is that the stomach acids can partial dissolve and soften turkey bones to some degree so this will help them pass.

4. However there are no guarantees and I have to say that very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to dogs eating turkey bones such as intestinal tract damage and blockage. so you would be wise to monitor Blaze carefully for a few days, look out for such symptoms as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult with a vet { Even if you need to use an ER vet } without delay if any such symptoms appear.

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Carol,

I am just checking back in to see how Blaze is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the turkey carcass incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.