Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He's is a dashound and is having powerful blowing diarrea.

Customer Question

he's is a dashound and is having powerful blowing diarrea. He had this once before and he had worms, could this be the culprit again, and what can I do >?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cocoa, and is 13years ols.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cocoa,?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What color is the diarrhea? Any blood?

How long ago was he wormed?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It started about a week ago. I has bought some new treats and I thought that may have cause it, so I stop giving them to him. His stool did get firmer but now its back again.
The color is brown, no blood as far as I can tell.
Its been a couple of years since the last incident.
His gums are pink and Moist.
His tummy is tense, when I press he acts like he wants to cough.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he eats the other dogs poop and he is fine. Then he eats what ever he can find in the pen, when I take him out.....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you,

Now at his age, worms usually won't cause dramatic diarrhea. Usually that is a younger dog situation. That said, if he hasn't been wormed in the past month, then it is worth covering that base. Though we have to be aware that this is more likely due to a bacterial, viral or protozoal agent. As well, with that belly tensing, there is a risk of this being due to a foreign body but at his age that tends to be less common. Still we do want to keep an eye on that just in case.

Now since he is otherwise well, we can try supportive care just now. To start, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) and an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to these meals to firm the stools quicker and support the gut.. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk with explosive diarrhea cases, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Worms aren't likely but we can address them as we support him to see if we can get him settled. Of course, if he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable antibiotics +/- fluids to settle his gut and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )