Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had a little lump for a few years now on her lower

Customer Question

Hi! My dog had a little lump for a few years now on her lower belly. Her vet said it was a fatty mass and to keep an eye on it. Just noticed in a few days ago it's gotten bigger in size. If doesn't seem tender to her. Just worried about her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Just the lump gotten a bigger in size. She's 8 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much bigger has it gotten?

Is it stretching or ulcerating the skin?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Last vet appt was in September and since then it has gotten a few cm bigger. I would say it's stretching. It's reallyhard to see from the surface. You can more feel it. I'm attaching the picture. Just worried it might be cancer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I share your concern, especially if this lump is growing. This is because while our fatty lumps can grow (and need to be removed if they over stretch the skin since we don't want them to ulcerate as its very sore for them), if her vet didn't sample this then we cannot be 100% sure it isn't anything else.

Therefore, while it doesn't look like it is about to ulcerate from the photo, it would be prudent to have this tested by her vet. To do so, they can take a quick fine needle aspiration (FNA) during a visit. This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If fatty material is removed, then its just a lipoma and again just needs to be removed if it is growing (but we'd not have to panic about margins and urgent surgery). If clear fluid is removed, then a cyst would be likely. Otherwise, if the above are not found on their exam of the aspirate, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning and needs urgent addressing for her.

Overall, even fatty lumps need to be handled with care if they are growing since we don't want them to get too larger to remove nor ulcerate the skin to cause pain and risk infection. Therefore, it would be ideal since this has grown to have her vet aspirate it at this point. That way we can be sure what we are dealing with and take the best steps to address this for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you! I figured I would need to get it tested. I have an appointment with her vet next Wednesday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I do think that is safest for her and it is always best to get these addressed when they aren't overly large. :)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )