Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

11 years old terrier- spayed. For about 3 weeks, she appears

Customer Question

11 years old ***** ***** terrier- spayed. For about 3 weeks, she appears to have the urge to pee more frequently than normal. Plus it's taking a long time to actually urinate which can be just a few drops. And today, I just noticed her urine was very thick and a golden yellow.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Your JRT appears to be stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine. A geriatric urinary tract infection/UTI (E. coli is usually responsible) is the most common cause of stranguria at her age. Her vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis (percutaneous aspiration of your JRT's bladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine) and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of a UTI - the presence of bacteria and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic expected to be effective will be prescribed for 10-14 days. Her urine should then be rechecked 2 days after the course of therapy is completed to make sure that her urinary tract was sterilized.

Less commonly she might have formed calculi (stones) or suffers from the less common transitional cell carcinoma - a cancer involving her bladder and/or urethra. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.