Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate 7 cepacol lozenges about 20 minutes ago and I

Customer Question

My dog ate 7 cepacol lozenges about 20 minutes ago and I induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide about 10 minutes after that. Logically I know she should be fine but I'm just a little freaked out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pixie and she's 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pixie?
Customer: She weighs about 45 pounds Not at all
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You did just as you should have done. There's a tiny amount of both menthol and benzocaine that are of very low toxicity in those lozenges. Cetylpyridium chloride is also present in those lozenges and acts an an antimicrobial agent. Once again, it's of very low toxicity in dogs and so even if you hadn't induced emesis, I would have expected a 45 lb Pixie to remain safe. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Pixie wasn't intoxicated particularly because you wisely induced emesis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.