Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my puppy may be constipated. Have not seen her have

Customer Question

I think my puppy may be constipated. Have not seen her have a bm in 3 days. Can i give her a stool softener?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about may?
Customer: She is a 14week old shepard. Everything else seems normal.she is active and eating.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now given her age, we do need to tread with care. If there is any chance she has eaten something that could cause a blockage, could have a severe worm burden (which can be a blockage itself), or has any belly pain; we'd want her seen urgently for this.

If those aren't an issue, then we can use some home supportive care to try to help restore normal fecal passage and regularity. Now we don't tend to use stool softeners in dogs, but there are some home care options that you can use. First, we sometimes find that milk can be helpful at increasing gut movement and helping stool pass. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, we can increase her dietary fiber by mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage her to drink if she isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure she has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if she is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, this is getting to a time frame where we'd want to consider giving her a bit of a "push" to pass feces. Therefore, at this point, I would advise the above supportive care to just get things moving. If you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or see any belly discomfort or straining without feces; then we'd want to have her vet have a feel of her GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.