Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He cries after he deficates, Lucky 6 years old

Customer Question

he cries after he deficates
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucky 6 years old cockerspaniel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: he went through surgery march 2016, he was injured after a great dane jumped on his back and caused him to not walk or use the restroom naturally , hes had no problem after the surgery til now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has Lucky had any recheck x-rays since the onset of the pain?

Is he on any medications?

Are you seeing him vocalizing during or after the defecation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No ex rays were needed.he recovered well after 3 months. He's a t on meds. The past 2 days after he deficates he can't walk ..lyes on his stomach flat cries whimpers.. I try to rub his belly and I can see his pain... 5 mins later he is fine. I've checked his stool for blood or worms. And it's all good. No sign

The reason I asked about the x-rays is that the possibility exists that a different area of the spine may be affected now instead of where it was causing him problems before. If this persists, you'll need to have him examined for sure and diagnostics performed on his back once again. These types of situations can occur spontaneously or with injury. In his case, it may be both and the injury may have set him up for future problems although only one area was originally injured badly enough to require surgery. The difficulty walking after stooling makes me wonder if there is not a pinched nerve that is happening when he postures to produce stool. I would personally recommend diagnostics to see if this might be the case. Even a few days on pain medication may help to determine if this is related to a nerve being pinched or something more concerning.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Due to the holiday...I'm unable to book an appointment until Monday. Lucky has RIMADYL 100 MG left over from his last vet visit.. He is still able to urinate and deficate fine ...it's afterwards where he shakes and cries and the unable to walk temporarily (5) mins.... Can I continue to give him the medication provided to him?

Is he on any other meds?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he is not

Absolutely carry on with the rimadyl, especially if it seems to help at all.