Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My older dog is not eating for the last two days or so - he

Customer Question

My older dog is not eating for the last two days or so - he is very lethargic - he has been drinking some water and did go outside to pee. He ate a little chicken today that I hand fed him. He has a hard time getting up and spit up some food. He seems alert enough. He did get into a fight with my granddaughter's younger very frisky and uncontrolled dog about 3 days ago but seemed oK afterwards. He is mostly sleeping. When I watched him outside he seemed like he was straining to poop - I don't think he actually pooped, though - not sure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your granddaughter's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: No- he has some allergy that he takes medication for but is otherwise healthy
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How old is Buddy?

When did you see the vomiting?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
11. I didn't
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

When did the vomiting occur, in that case?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I saevidence of him vomiting earlier this evening. Not a lot of vomit more just some fluid and a little bit of the chicken that I had fed him earlier

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800