Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an 11 year old golden retriever lab mix. This past

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old golden retriever lab mix. This past sunday he woke up refused breakfast and very lethargic. he refused to eat lunch also. he was drinking water. dinner he rebounded and seemed normal. Today he refused lunch and dinner and is very lethargic. cold nose, no vomiting or diarrhea. we don't know what to do.Please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: nothing else out of the ordinary.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 17 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank You

Hello again,

Sorry to hear your Lab mix is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and has a much reduced appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature { even if his nose is cold } and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible in his age group.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get him to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if his condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?