Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Dog was in a short tousle about two hours ago. He's a shi

Dog was in a short tousle about two hours ago. He's a shi tzu and it was a larger pit bull that got him. We were right there and it was split seconds. Def got a puncture under chin and his snout was bloody. Chin has stopped bleeding. I gave him dog muscle relaxer and dog tramadol (he has a slip disk and is on medicine for that - he twisted up
Pretty well when she went after him so I'm concerned about his back too) he is still snorting out some blood and he sneezed and it was a good spray to it. I've had ice on it intermittently and I'm wiping his nose with cool towel. It's not bleeding active like dripping but when he snorts some does comes out. Should I take him to vet? We are traveling. So it would be a vet emergency room.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your poor pup's unfortunate experience!!! Unfortunately wounds on the face and in the nose tend to bleed alot, so it isn't suprising we are still seeing some dripping. It sounds like you are doing a good job so far with icing the areas.

I do think it would be a good idea to get him checked out at a vet, however, for a few reasons. One being that he has skin punctures present, and since this was a bite wound there is bacteria that is going to be present in the wound. We do usually treat bite wounds with antibiotics. The other medication that the vet can prescribe would be an anti-inflammatory pain medicaiton. The tramadol and muscle relaxer may help with some pain, but won't decrease any of the inflammation/swelling of the area that is likely going to swell.

They can also place medicated drops into the nasal passages to decrease bleeding if it is still present and check to ensure there hasn't been any additional damage done to the spine.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I also have rhymadil for his back. I was JUST starting to taper him off because he was starting to be back to his old self after 8 days.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I could give him that as well but he hasn't eaten since breakfast so I didn't want to load him up.

Ok. The Rimadyl should help with the swelling from the bite and also for any exacerbation of his back. If you have any treats you could offer him to take with the Rimadyl, I would give it, since it should help him be more comfortable.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You still think I should take him in even if I have the rhymafil?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will give him a spoonful of cream cheese with that

I do for the sake of an antibiotic. You could try cleaning it well with a soap like hibiclens http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/first-aid/antibiotic-antiseptic/hibiclens-liquid-prodid-102994(available at drug stores) and applying triple antibiotic, but you do risk infection developing, so you would need to watch very closely for swelling/discharge/heat/redness.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Just checking to see how your dog is doing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi thank you so much for checking. So nice of you. I took him in. We ended up getting antibiotics and she gave Chinese herbs to stop the bleeding. They couldn't find the puncture inn his nose. His back is still bugging him but he actually went up some stairs today so that's progress. He's going on glucosamine and chondroitin this week too and still on rhymadil and the muscle relaxant. Thank you for encouraging me to go. I think I felt like I was being an overprotective dog mom but I'm glad I went.

I am glad he is on the road to recovery!!!