Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We took our 1 year old pit mix to the vet yesterday because

Customer Question

hi we took our 1 year old pit bull mix to the vet yesterday because she was not acting herself. she wont lift her head above mid line. her tail in tucked, her stomach is rock hard and shes just generally uncomfortable. they gave her pain pills after an x-ray. they didn't see any sort of blockage in her GI. she had a poo this morning and has urinated at least twice. she is eating. when she lays down she cant get herself back up. the vet started her on 2 antibiotics and a steroid because seeing a neurologist is out of our means.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Everest. we call her Evie. she is alert but visibly in pain.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Everest?
Customer: I dont know if it matters but Sunday evening she was really itching. i didn't think anything of it but she started slowly acting more weird since then.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Dogs who resist raising their head as you've described often suffer from a cervical myelopathy (spinal cord disorder in the neck), encephalopathy (brain disorder) such as meningoencephalitis, or spinal meningitis. It sounds as if her vet has considered infection and inflammation in Evie's central nervous system because the vet has prescribed both an antibiotic(s) and antiinflammatory steroid. I understand your financial constraints. Unfortunately, a cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and MRI should be considered in such a patient in order to attempt to clarify which of the many central nervous system disorders may be present and a specialist veterinary neurologist is best equipped to perform such testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?