Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 moth old puppy accidentally ate 10mg of lexapro should

Customer Question

my 7 moth old puppy accidentally ate 10mg of lexapro should induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harper?
Customer: no she is a very healthy purebred
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much does she weigh?

How long ago did she have this?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,
She weights about 44lbs, is very healthy. she got to in within the hour. She is sleeping.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got home about 10 minutes ago and she was normal very excited to see me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello????
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now this is a drug that we do use in dogs. Though if she has had 10mg we can see some signs of wobbliness and lethargy with this, but more severe signs (ie tremors, vocalizations, and possible neurological signs including seizures) are thankfully unlikely.

Now give that she has had this in the past hour, we can induce vomiting just now. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is a mild overdose and th adverse signs we would expect are small. So, you can use the above jus tnow to counter this before she can absorb it.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your response. Is it possible that she will just tolerate it and pass it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

As I noted, the anticipated signs are mild so she may do so with minimal signs if you do choose to just monitor her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thank you. She is acting and breathing normally right now. My Vet ER is 1/2 mile away if she shows signs I will take her right in.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a fine plan of action and hopefully this will cause no bother.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.