Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Just started treatment yesterday for blastomycosis.....

Customer Question

Just started treatment yesterday for blastomycosis..... fluconazole is the anti-fungal, but Itraconazole might be better
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: It is my dog... not me
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Breathing difficulty, no appetite, lethargic Cough, acking and occasional throwing up
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Live on the bank of the mississippi river, neighbors dod was diagnosed this summer, same thing.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog!!!

I was just looking at an article on Blastomycosis to double check and according to this article, both itraconazole and fluconazole are used to treat blastomycosis, but itraconazole is considered the first choice. I am not sure if your vet chose fluconazole because they are more familiar with its use or if itraconazole is much more expensive (I haven't priced either recently), or for another reason, but I would consult with them and find out if there was a reason behind the decision.