Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She doesn't seem to want to lay down she's fine when she's

Customer Question

She doesn't seem to want to lay down she's fine when she's down but just stands still for ages
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: We think she's having another vestibular attack but it's different to the other times
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Faye and she's a 14 year old collie
JA: What is the collie's name?
Customer: Faye
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Faye on any medication at this time?

Can you share a video of what she is doing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She isn't on any medication. I will try to get a video of her when she gets up :)

Perfect. I'll keep an eye out.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a video but it won't let me load it :/

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
https://youtu.be/9dNMuJGz1pY
I don't know if this will work but if you can see it she just stands like this for ages - we have to pursuade her to sit down
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She's better today than she has been since Sunday so I think our suspicions were right that she was having another vestibular attack - I don't like to admit it but I think she's just old :(

My concern with this is that Faye is experiencing some discomfort and is doing all she can to avoid laying due to this discomfort. At 14, she no doubt likely is dealing with some arthritis. I can give you some suggestions to get her through the holiday but I would highly recommend that she see your vet and have an exam. She does not look like she is experiencing any vestibular symptoms based on this video. I would be interested to see how your vet feels about her condition after palpating her spine and hips, x-rays might also be suggested. A trial of canine-safe NSAIDs like rimadyl and pain medication like tramadol may be recommended, as well.

In a pinch, we can use aspirin to try to help with discomfort. Here is the dosing info: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800