Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has Collie. Nose and swollen joints. Painful! Treated on

Customer Question

She has Collie. Nose and swollen joints. Painful! Treated on Tramadol and Pregnizone. She had a seizure this a.m. But is fine now. Lasted about 30 sec. Can this be an overdose of either med?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the Collie's name and age?
Customer: Bren 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bren?
Customer: This has been going on for 6 months. They doubled her dose on both meds yesterday and this is her first seizure episode.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bren. Yes, because tramadol has caused seizures in humans, it should be used with caution in dogs with preexisting seizure disorders or receiving other drugs that may reduce the seizure threshold. Perhaps Bren was prone to idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy and the increased dose of tramadol triggered that disorder. Be sure to tell Bren's vet what you've seen and for now stop the administration of tramadol. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.