Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12 wk Morkie just started crying and foaming at her

Customer Question

My 12 wk Morkie just started crying and foaming at her mouth. I washed her mouth and she has calmed down but still shaking. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 12 wk Maltese and Yorkie mix
JA: OK. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the's name and age?
Customer: Elle Mae and 12 wks
JA: How old is Elle Mae?
Customer: 12 wks
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elle Mae?
Customer: She has stopped with the foam
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Could she have licked or eaten something harmful (ie toxins, drugs/medications, chemicals, bugs, plants, etc)?

Any inflammation, sores or ulcers in her mouth?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Any breathing changes?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She finally took some nutrilcal and ate and dramk water. She seemed lethargic most of the day but is more herself niw. Could it have been a seizure ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 17 days ago.

Hi again,

It is possible that it could be an atypical seizure but from your history it sounded more like a possible bitter/caustic/toxin ingestion. In this case, if she is normal now, you would want to monitor her. Keep things calm and make sure there is nothing toxic or dangerous at home she may have chewed. If you see any more drooling (as it can be a nausea sign too) or her appetite is poor, you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). As well, if her appetite is still reduced you can try tempting with a light diet along with the Nutrical. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Overall, we can see odd signs and drooling with seizures but given the initial history provided it doesn't sound like there was any mental compromise. Therefore, odd ingestions and nausea would be our other concerns. So, if she is normal, we'd just want to monitor but if her appetite hasn't picked up or you see any more signs, we'd want to try the above to rule out those other concerns.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )